Coach of the Week: Eric Podley
LA VERNE, Calif. (KABC) -- Bonita High School football coach Eric Podley has instilled one word above all others in the minds of his players: discipline.
It has taken discipline for this team from the city of La Verne to overcome last season's disappointed 3-8 record to become the 10-1 powerhouse to be reckoned with in the playoffs this season.
"We like to measure things by our effort," Podley says. "Wins and losses come and go, but how hard you try is the measure of your success.
"We want to try to be our best in what we do," Podley added. "If we can do that, you can look in the mirror and say you're a winner."
For Podley, who is also a world history teacher, winning off the field is as important as racking up wins on the grid iron.
That's why Podley's team has raised more than $7,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, benefitting American veterans.
football, leo stallworth
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 4 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- VC suspicious death investigation underway 44 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis