Coach of the Week: Eric Podley
LA VERNE, Calif. (KABC) -- Bonita High School football coach Eric Podley has instilled one word above all others in the minds of his players: discipline.
It has taken discipline for this team from the city of La Verne to overcome last season's disappointed 3-8 record to become the 10-1 powerhouse to be reckoned with in the playoffs this season.
"We like to measure things by our effort," Podley says. "Wins and losses come and go, but how hard you try is the measure of your success.
"We want to try to be our best in what we do," Podley added. "If we can do that, you can look in the mirror and say you're a winner."
For Podley, who is also a world history teacher, winning off the field is as important as racking up wins on the grid iron.
That's why Podley's team has raised more than $7,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, benefitting American veterans.
football, leo stallworth
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 22 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
11 min ago