Coach of the Week: Eric Podley
LA VERNE, Calif. (KABC) -- Bonita High School football coach Eric Podley has instilled one word above all others in the minds of his players: discipline.
It has taken discipline for this team from the city of La Verne to overcome last season's disappointed 3-8 record to become the 10-1 powerhouse to be reckoned with in the playoffs this season.
"We like to measure things by our effort," Podley says. "Wins and losses come and go, but how hard you try is the measure of your success.
"We want to try to be our best in what we do," Podley added. "If we can do that, you can look in the mirror and say you're a winner."
For Podley, who is also a world history teacher, winning off the field is as important as racking up wins on the grid iron.
That's why Podley's team has raised more than $7,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, benefitting American veterans.
football, leo stallworth
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions 24 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 43 min ago
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Alison Arngrim speaks about sex abuse
21 min ago