Coach of the Week: Shane Cox of Fairfax High School
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- When coach Shane Cox was hired at Fairfax High School in 1999, he inherited a football program that had not won a game in some two years.
"That was the longest year of my life. We inherited a really difficult situation but it's been a tremendous blessing for me because there wasn't anywhere we could go but up," he said."
They went up by changing the culture, getting tougher. and within five years, Fairfax High whad won a league championship. That's from a school that was just three losses away from tying a state record for 46 consecutive losses.
Practicing on a dirt field and kicking extra points onto a tennis court speaks to the difficult conditions the program has to deal with.
While lawmakers in Sacramento are cutting educational costs at every corner, the administration at the public school has taken a private school approach to fundraising. They'll have a new stadium by next fall.
"We had to raise half the money for this project. You think about that. You're talking about several million dollars," Cox said.
They'll have a new track, artificial field, bleachers, press box and everything else that comes with a new facility.
Cox is coming off a league title and he's cautiously optimistic about a repeat, which would be the first in the school's history.
The Fairfax High football program will receive a grant from KABC and the NFL for $1,000.
football, curt sandoval
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months