Coach of the Week: Jim Bonds of St. Francis High School
LA CAÑADA FLINTRIDGE, Calif. (KABC) -- In his 12th season at St. Francis High School, football coach Jim Bonds has been selected as this week's recipient of ABC7's high school Coach of the Week award.
St. Francis is an all-boys private preparatory Catholic school in La Cañada Flintridge. Enrollment is nearly 600, and all the boys who play on the football team must excel in one area: time management.
"This is an unbelievable academic school and they're definitely pushed to the limit," Bonds said. "I always tell kids I was much better in the classroom when I had that structure of football practice in season."
The senior-dominated team is off to a 3-0 start.
During Bonds' tenure, the Golden Knights have gone 81-47 and have reached the playoffs 10 times, making the semi-finals three times.
The team has also had a relationship with Children's Hospital Los Angeles two of the last three years. They bus the boys to Paramount Studios for a day to help families who have a child battling cancer.
"It was really something that we wanted to do to get away from the campus, to get away from football and let our guys see how lucky and how priviledged they are and help make a difference in other people's lives," Bonds said.
On behalf of KABC, Bonds' program will receive a $1,000 grant from the NFL.
football, curt sandoval
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 11 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 57 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 18 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
52 min ago