Coach of the Week: Mike Collins of Claremont High School
CLAREMONT, Calif. (KABC) -- Claremont High School's football season has been building like its pre-game chant: "Can't stop. Won't stop. Gotta, gotta, gotta win."
The Wolfpack's success is a product of their work ethic and a reflection of head coach Mike Collins and his staff of 17 years.
"We want to deserve to win football games," Collins said. "We work so hard throughout the week, not only our work on the football field but in the classroom, how we treat people at home. When our players do that, they're winners, no matter what happens on Friday night.
"I'd be lying if I said we didn't want to win every football game, because we want to win them all. And this team may win them all."
The Wolfpack are not only one of the better teams in the area, they're one of the most studious. Sixty-five percent of the players are on the honor roll.
Success on the field at Claremont takes a backseat to integrity and character, right down to coach Collins' "no cussing" policy.
"I think it shows class and discipline by not cussing. Back when I was hired in 1994, that was one of the things the principal said. He goes, 'You can't make the team not cuss,'" said Collins, to which he replied, "'Yes I can.'"
"At first, it's kind of hard to do, but you realize you wouldn't have it any other way," said wide receiver Klyvens Delaunay. "It's a great coaching style and really fun to play with."
football, john hartung
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 38 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis 2 min ago
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe 18 min ago
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors 3 min ago
- NFL fines Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 51 min ago
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host killed in SF crash
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film