Coach of the Week: Mike Collins of Claremont High School
CLAREMONT, Calif. (KABC) -- Claremont High School's football season has been building like its pre-game chant: "Can't stop. Won't stop. Gotta, gotta, gotta win."
The Wolfpack's success is a product of their work ethic and a reflection of head coach Mike Collins and his staff of 17 years.
"We want to deserve to win football games," Collins said. "We work so hard throughout the week, not only our work on the football field but in the classroom, how we treat people at home. When our players do that, they're winners, no matter what happens on Friday night.
"I'd be lying if I said we didn't want to win every football game, because we want to win them all. And this team may win them all."
The Wolfpack are not only one of the better teams in the area, they're one of the most studious. Sixty-five percent of the players are on the honor roll.
Success on the field at Claremont takes a backseat to integrity and character, right down to coach Collins' "no cussing" policy.
"I think it shows class and discipline by not cussing. Back when I was hired in 1994, that was one of the things the principal said. He goes, 'You can't make the team not cuss,'" said Collins, to which he replied, "'Yes I can.'"
"At first, it's kind of hard to do, but you realize you wouldn't have it any other way," said wide receiver Klyvens Delaunay. "It's a great coaching style and really fun to play with."
football, john hartung
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 17 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 49 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 33 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 46 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
34 min ago