Coach of the Week: Mike Collins of Claremont High School
CLAREMONT, Calif. (KABC) -- Claremont High School's football season has been building like its pre-game chant: "Can't stop. Won't stop. Gotta, gotta, gotta win."
The Wolfpack's success is a product of their work ethic and a reflection of head coach Mike Collins and his staff of 17 years.
"We want to deserve to win football games," Collins said. "We work so hard throughout the week, not only our work on the football field but in the classroom, how we treat people at home. When our players do that, they're winners, no matter what happens on Friday night.
"I'd be lying if I said we didn't want to win every football game, because we want to win them all. And this team may win them all."
The Wolfpack are not only one of the better teams in the area, they're one of the most studious. Sixty-five percent of the players are on the honor roll.
Success on the field at Claremont takes a backseat to integrity and character, right down to coach Collins' "no cussing" policy.
"I think it shows class and discipline by not cussing. Back when I was hired in 1994, that was one of the things the principal said. He goes, 'You can't make the team not cuss,'" said Collins, to which he replied, "'Yes I can.'"
"At first, it's kind of hard to do, but you realize you wouldn't have it any other way," said wide receiver Klyvens Delaunay. "It's a great coaching style and really fun to play with."
football, john hartung
- London attack victim was a serving soldier
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop 42 min ago
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
37 min ago