Coach of the Week: Mike Collins of Claremont High School
CLAREMONT, Calif. (KABC) -- Claremont High School's football season has been building like its pre-game chant: "Can't stop. Won't stop. Gotta, gotta, gotta win."
The Wolfpack's success is a product of their work ethic and a reflection of head coach Mike Collins and his staff of 17 years.
"We want to deserve to win football games," Collins said. "We work so hard throughout the week, not only our work on the football field but in the classroom, how we treat people at home. When our players do that, they're winners, no matter what happens on Friday night.
"I'd be lying if I said we didn't want to win every football game, because we want to win them all. And this team may win them all."
The Wolfpack are not only one of the better teams in the area, they're one of the most studious. Sixty-five percent of the players are on the honor roll.
Success on the field at Claremont takes a backseat to integrity and character, right down to coach Collins' "no cussing" policy.
"I think it shows class and discipline by not cussing. Back when I was hired in 1994, that was one of the things the principal said. He goes, 'You can't make the team not cuss,'" said Collins, to which he replied, "'Yes I can.'"
"At first, it's kind of hard to do, but you realize you wouldn't have it any other way," said wide receiver Klyvens Delaunay. "It's a great coaching style and really fun to play with."
football, john hartung
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 59 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money 8 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed 10 min ago
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes 29 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...