La Salle's Russell Gordon is the ABC7 NFL High School Coach of the Week
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Some might call what happened on the La Salle Lancers' field in the past three months a football miracle.
The Lancers hoped to win at least five games this season. But they came out and won their opening game. They won the next week, too, and the next. La Salle didn't stop at five wins, or six, or seven. They ran the table in the regular season to go a perfect 10-0.
"I never would've seen us going 10-0, but Coach (Russell) Gordon is one of those coaches who believed in us," said Lancers wide receiver Jalen Gray.
Gordon said morale was a little low, but he saw a bright future for La Salle.
"The culture needed to be changed, as far as this wasn't going to be recreational anymore," he said.
Some people might have thought the first-year head coach was crazy. He left Campbell Hall for La Salle, which was 1-19 the past two years.
"I came to their homecoming game last year," Gordon said. "They were 0-8. I saw the community support and it was awesome. The way they embraced this team, it was definitely something I wanted to be a part of."
His coaching style paid off quickly on the scoreboard. The Lancers were not only undefeated, they won by an average of almost 40 points per game.
"Effort equals results," Gordon said.
After going 10-0, La Salle couldn't quite take it all the way. They lost by two points in the CIF playoffs last weekend.
"We made mistakes that night that were out of character," Gordon said. "That's what happens. These games are about competition and so is life. They learned another life lesson out of it."
So now the off-season workouts begin in the place the turnaround all started: the La Salle weight room.
football, john hartung
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 45 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust 52 min ago
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 12 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere