St. John Bosco's Jason Negro is ABC7 NFL High School Coach of the Week
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- There are thousands of high schools in the United States, but when it comes to football, the major national website MaxPreps.com had St. John Bosco ranked No. 1 in the country this week.
"I think that's a great accomplishment for my staff as well as the players, but they all know that we haven't accomplished anything yet in terms of hardware. We want to try to get a ring and hopefully play in a state game. At the end of the season, if we're really No. 1, that's when we're really going to celebrate," said St. John Bosco Head Coach Jason Negro.
Negro took over a program that was struggling to make the playoffs, and he's built St. John Bosco into a football power in just his third year since returning to his alma mater.
"He's a really great coach," said Aaron Laut, St. John Bosco defensive end. "I love him personally and as a coach. He drives us and he works us to the best of our abilities. That's all that counts."
But that first CIF title in school history will have to wait another year. In the dense fog in Long Beach on Friday night, Bosco gave up a fourth quarter touchdown to Long Beach Poly and lost in the semi-finals.
Still, under Coach Negro the Braves are poised to continue their winning ways, and doing so the right way.
Bosco forfeited its first four games this season for using an ineligible player, an infraction they discovered and self reported to the CIF. It was about integrity and character, which they preach to their players.
"We talk a lot about character and things they do on campus and off campus," said Negro. "They need to understand that they're playing for something larger than themselves. The name on the front of their jersey that represents the school is something that's important and when we're in the community we want to do the right thing and make good decisions. I'm real proud of what they've done so far this year."
And there's so much to be proud of with this team, even though their season didn't have the dream finish.
St. John Bosco's Jason Negro is the ABC7 NFL Coach of The Week.
football, john hartung
- Covina shooting: Adult, 4-year-old girl hurt
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl 32 min ago
- Banksy's 'Flower Girl' auctioned off at $209K
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)