St. John Bosco's Jason Negro is ABC7 NFL High School Coach of the Week
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- There are thousands of high schools in the United States, but when it comes to football, the major national website MaxPreps.com had St. John Bosco ranked No. 1 in the country this week.
"I think that's a great accomplishment for my staff as well as the players, but they all know that we haven't accomplished anything yet in terms of hardware. We want to try to get a ring and hopefully play in a state game. At the end of the season, if we're really No. 1, that's when we're really going to celebrate," said St. John Bosco Head Coach Jason Negro.
Negro took over a program that was struggling to make the playoffs, and he's built St. John Bosco into a football power in just his third year since returning to his alma mater.
"He's a really great coach," said Aaron Laut, St. John Bosco defensive end. "I love him personally and as a coach. He drives us and he works us to the best of our abilities. That's all that counts."
But that first CIF title in school history will have to wait another year. In the dense fog in Long Beach on Friday night, Bosco gave up a fourth quarter touchdown to Long Beach Poly and lost in the semi-finals.
Still, under Coach Negro the Braves are poised to continue their winning ways, and doing so the right way.
Bosco forfeited its first four games this season for using an ineligible player, an infraction they discovered and self reported to the CIF. It was about integrity and character, which they preach to their players.
"We talk a lot about character and things they do on campus and off campus," said Negro. "They need to understand that they're playing for something larger than themselves. The name on the front of their jersey that represents the school is something that's important and when we're in the community we want to do the right thing and make good decisions. I'm real proud of what they've done so far this year."
And there's so much to be proud of with this team, even though their season didn't have the dream finish.
St. John Bosco's Jason Negro is the ABC7 NFL Coach of The Week.
football, john hartung
- Brush fire burning near Gorman 6 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Photos: 'Modern Family' home selling for $2.35M
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)