Olympics opening ceremony kicks off games
LONDON (KABC) -- The London Olympics are underway, and featured an opening ceremony complete with James Bond and the queen herself.
Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle was the creative mind behind the spectacle, which featured a non-stop soundtrack of rock hits from the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and The Who.
A short film displayed on screens in the in the stadium featured actor Daniel Craig as James Bond arriving at Buckingham Palace to escort Queen Elizabeth II to the games. It's believed by organizers to be the 86-year-old queen's first acting role. The pair flew over London landmarks before cutting to real skydivers parachuting into the stadium.
Beach volleyball in the heart of central London will highlight Olympic competition Saturday, along with the first swimming medals. American rivals Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte will face off in the 400-meter individual medley.
Two-time U.S. defending gold medalist pair Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor will be the feature match in the beach volleyball grandstand.
Extensive security measures are being taken at the games to allay fears. Olympic officials said security and contingency plans are in place. Thousands of extra troops have been mobilized to pick up any slack in security. Extra police are also taking to the air and water.
Around 60,000 people attended the opening ceremonies, including U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and First Lady Michelle Obama, who attended a breakfast with U.S. Olympians Friday morning. Seventy-two athletes representing cities in Southern California are competing in the summer games.
summer olympics, 2012 olympics, olympics
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- 'Sexting' case at IE schools nets teen arrest 23 min ago
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership 45 min ago
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
2 min ago
- 2012 Olympic medals -- daily medal tracker
- Olympic Sports -- Summer Games Events
- Venues of events at the 2012 Olympics
- Olympic torch route for Summer Games
- Olympic diving -- competitive rules & basics
- History and trivia of Olympic Gymnastics
- Olympics medals by country, historic medal count
- Secrets of 2012 Olympians
- Oscar Pistorius at Olympics 2012
- Best Body Types for Olympic Sports