Jordyn Wieber, US gymnast champ, loses chance for all-around title
LONDON (KABC) -- World champion Jordyn Wieber lost her chance at an all-around title after being edged out by her teammates Sunday.
Wieber was the odd girl out for Thursday's individual all-around final after teammates Gabby Douglas and Aly Raisman scored above her during Olympic team qualifiers. Raisman, Wieber's best friend, earned the highest score of 60.391, slipping past Douglas for the top performance by an American.
The result sent shockwaves through the O2 Arena and the U.S. team, and left Raisman and Wieber in tears, for entirely different reasons.
The rules allow only two gymnasts per country to make the all-around finals, and for months it seemed Douglas and Wieber were on course to repeat the duel Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin staged in Beijing four years ago.
Raisman has been largely in the shadows of her teammates - Wieber is a champion, and Douglas is a natural who is perhaps the most talented gymnast of her generation.
At the beginning of the qualifiers, Raisman started off low-key - her vault was the lowest of the four Americans and same with her bars score. But she eventually found footing on the beam with a 15.1. Then, she upped her game on the floor, with 75 nearly seconds of flawless moves.
2012 olympics, summer olympics, olympics
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car 36 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead 2 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- 2012 Olympic medals -- daily medal tracker
- Olympic Sports -- Summer Games Events
- Venues of events at the 2012 Olympics
- Olympic torch route for Summer Games
- Olympic diving -- competitive rules & basics
- History and trivia of Olympic Gymnastics
- Olympics medals by country, historic medal count
- Secrets of 2012 Olympians
- Oscar Pistorius at Olympics 2012
- Best Body Types for Olympic Sports