Kobe Bryant's US, Pau Gasol's Spain to square off for Olympic gold
LONDON (KABC) -- Friends now foes: Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol will square off when Team USA and Spain play for the gold medal in Sunday's final - a rematch of the final at the 2008 Beijing Games won by the Americans.
Gasol has shown he's a different player when he is leading Spain as opposed to when he is Bryant's sidekick with the Los Angeles Lakers. When he's wearing the purple and gold, he's criticized often for being "soft" and unwilling to play physical.
With Spain, however, the big man is the team's gritty backbone, the one they look to when things aren't going so well. That was evident when Spain rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to beat Russia 67-59 in the first semifinal.
In the other semifinal, as expected, the U.S. moved forward after blowing out Argentina 109-83.
Bryant started the semifinal against Argentina with a little extra hop in his step after hearing that his Lakers had acquired All-Star center Dwight Howard during the NBA off season.
After being relatively quiet by his standards on the scoring front, Bryant came out firing against Argentina. He hit three 3-pointers and threw down a reverse dunk in the first four minutes.
In the women's 4x100-meter relay race, Carmelita Jeter crossed the finish line for the U.S. pointing the baton at the clock, which showed a world record of 40.82. That shattered the old record of 41.37 set by East Germany in 1985. It also was the Americans' first gold in the relay since 1996.
Jeter, along with teammates Tianna Madison, 200-meter champion Allyson Felix and Bianca Knight, wrapped themselves in flags and then looked up at the Jumbotron to watch the replay. When the shot of Jeter crossing the line was shown, Knight thrust her fist in the air.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
2012 olympics, olympics
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe? 20 min ago
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill
- Bear cub frequents Duarte for snacks
56 min ago
- 2012 Olympic medals -- daily medal tracker
- Olympic Sports -- Summer Games Events
- Venues of events at the 2012 Olympics
- Olympic torch route for Summer Games
- Olympic diving -- competitive rules & basics
- History and trivia of Olympic Gymnastics
- Olympics medals by country, historic medal count
- Secrets of 2012 Olympians
- Oscar Pistorius at Olympics 2012
- Best Body Types for Olympic Sports