Kobe Bryant's US, Pau Gasol's Spain to square off for Olympic gold
LONDON (KABC) -- Friends now foes: Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol will square off when Team USA and Spain play for the gold medal in Sunday's final - a rematch of the final at the 2008 Beijing Games won by the Americans.
Gasol has shown he's a different player when he is leading Spain as opposed to when he is Bryant's sidekick with the Los Angeles Lakers. When he's wearing the purple and gold, he's criticized often for being "soft" and unwilling to play physical.
With Spain, however, the big man is the team's gritty backbone, the one they look to when things aren't going so well. That was evident when Spain rallied from an 11-point halftime deficit to beat Russia 67-59 in the first semifinal.
In the other semifinal, as expected, the U.S. moved forward after blowing out Argentina 109-83.
Bryant started the semifinal against Argentina with a little extra hop in his step after hearing that his Lakers had acquired All-Star center Dwight Howard during the NBA off season.
After being relatively quiet by his standards on the scoring front, Bryant came out firing against Argentina. He hit three 3-pointers and threw down a reverse dunk in the first four minutes.
In the women's 4x100-meter relay race, Carmelita Jeter crossed the finish line for the U.S. pointing the baton at the clock, which showed a world record of 40.82. That shattered the old record of 41.37 set by East Germany in 1985. It also was the Americans' first gold in the relay since 1996.
Jeter, along with teammates Tianna Madison, 200-meter champion Allyson Felix and Bianca Knight, wrapped themselves in flags and then looked up at the Jumbotron to watch the replay. When the shot of Jeter crossing the line was shown, Knight thrust her fist in the air.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
2012 olympics, olympics
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens 49 min ago
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Technology, training for LA motorcycle safety
50 min ago
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
13 min ago
- Online workouts you can download
31 min ago
- 2012 Olympic medals -- daily medal tracker
- Olympic Sports -- Summer Games Events
- Venues of events at the 2012 Olympics
- Olympic torch route for Summer Games
- Olympic diving -- competitive rules & basics
- History and trivia of Olympic Gymnastics
- Olympics medals by country, historic medal count
- Secrets of 2012 Olympians
- Oscar Pistorius at Olympics 2012
- Best Body Types for Olympic Sports