2 jockeys hospitalized after collision in OC; 1 critical
CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- Two jockeys were injured Friday night in a racing accident at the Los Alamitos Race Course in Cypress. One of the jockeys has been hospitalized in critical condition.
The accident happened around 9 p.m. during the fourth race of the evening. Officials say one horse went down suddenly and the rider behind him didn't have time to react. His horse tripped over the first and the jockey was thrown onto the track. The first jockey to go down was treated at the scene and remained at the track Friday night.
Officials say accidents like this are common in the sport.
"It happens quite often, they train here quite a bit during the race season, our units respond often on riders who have collided, gone down, or for other various injuries," said Orange County Fire Authority Batt. Chief Anthony Espinosa.
Both jockeys involved in the accident are said to be very experienced. The track also said it always has paramedics on stand-by should occasions like this arise.
The races resumed after the track was cleared.
professional, leanne suter
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill