Manny Ramirez out of jail after battery charge
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (KABC) -- Former Los Angeles Dodger Manny Ramirez was released from jail on Tuesday after being arrested in a domestic dispute in South Florida.
Ramirez was released from the Broward County Jail on $2,500 bail. Broward Circuit Judge Jon Hurley ordered that he have no direct contact with his wife.
Officials say the 39-year-old former World Series MVP was arguing with his wife, Juliana, when he slapped her face, causing her to hit her head on their bed's headboard on Monday afternoon. She declined medical attention when police arrived.
"My husband just hit me," Juliana Ramirez says on the 911 call released by the Broward Sheriff's Office.
Ramirez denied hitting his wife to police.
Ramirez was met by several family members when he left the jail just before noon, getting into a white Cadillac Escalade.
While he did not make a comment to reporters waiting outside, a woman who identified herself as his sister said, "We love him no matter what. He's an amazing guy and we love him no matter what."
The 12-time All-Star retired in April from the Tampa Bay Rays after he tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles dodgers, arrest, mlb
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains 18 min ago
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event