Texas Rangers' Josh Hamilton confirms alcohol relapse
ARLINGTON, Texas (KABC) -- Texas Rangers slugger and 2010 AL MVP Josh Hamilton said Friday that he had a relapse with alcohol.
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said while he's disappointed, he's mainly concerned for Hamilton and his family.
Hamilton, who is a recovering drug addict, said the relapse started with "three or four" drinks at a Dallas-area bar on Monday. He said he had more drinks later that night.
He apologized for what he called a "weak moment."
Hamilton can become a free agent after this season and there have been talks about a contract extension before spring training.
Daniels agreed with Hamilton that contract talks should be put off to the side for now.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
texas rangers, mlb
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'