Dodgers past and present visit Children's Hospital Los Angeles patients
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Baseball's great ambassador Tommy Lasorda was an "ambassador of goodwill" at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA).
CHLA was the first stop for the Dodgers' two-day caravan as some of the "boys in blue," past and present, visited patients.
"It breaks my heart, especially with youngsters. You wonder why things have to happen to them," said LaSorda.
"These kids here, they're fighting for their life," said Dodgers Shortstop Dee Gordon. "It amazes me to see the willpower these kids have."
Gordon converted a San Francisco Giants fan, if only for a moment.
The players came bearing gifts for the kids. One of the kids, Kylee Postel, gave some of the players good-luck keychains.
"She's my hero for all what she's gone through. She's in the hospital almost monthly. She's gone through things that I would never do. But then yet she always has a smile on her face," said Christine Postel, Kylee's mother.
The smiles lit up the room Tuesday.
Former Dodger Shawn Green came by to see his Andrew Perez, a CHLA patient.
"It reminds some people that there's so many people that care, and once we get better, we can really do anything we want," said Andrew.
"We could say, 'Wow, these kids are fighting harder and are braver than any of the athletes that wear the Major League uniform," said Green.
los angeles dodgers, mlb, john hartung
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 20 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests 56 min ago
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
50 min ago
- Illinois students spread joy w/ Dial-a -Carol
51 min ago