Dodgers past and present visit Children's Hospital Los Angeles patients
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Baseball's great ambassador Tommy Lasorda was an "ambassador of goodwill" at Children's Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA).
CHLA was the first stop for the Dodgers' two-day caravan as some of the "boys in blue," past and present, visited patients.
"It breaks my heart, especially with youngsters. You wonder why things have to happen to them," said LaSorda.
"These kids here, they're fighting for their life," said Dodgers Shortstop Dee Gordon. "It amazes me to see the willpower these kids have."
Gordon converted a San Francisco Giants fan, if only for a moment.
The players came bearing gifts for the kids. One of the kids, Kylee Postel, gave some of the players good-luck keychains.
"She's my hero for all what she's gone through. She's in the hospital almost monthly. She's gone through things that I would never do. But then yet she always has a smile on her face," said Christine Postel, Kylee's mother.
The smiles lit up the room Tuesday.
Former Dodger Shawn Green came by to see his Andrew Perez, a CHLA patient.
"It reminds some people that there's so many people that care, and once we get better, we can really do anything we want," said Andrew.
"We could say, 'Wow, these kids are fighting harder and are braver than any of the athletes that wear the Major League uniform," said Green.
los angeles dodgers, mlb, john hartung
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 40 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 20 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 42 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
4 min ago