Angels' Torii Hunter out after son's arrest
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim outfielder Torii Hunter has left the team following news that his teenage son was arrested in Texas.
Darius McClinton-Hunter, 17, was arrested in McKinney, Texas, on Monday in a sexual assault case. He was one of five teens accused of assaulting a 16-year-old girl. Officials said the crime happened somewhere off the high school campus. One suspect in the case also was accused of unlawful restraint of a child.
"Of course, he says he's not guilty. He's certainly shaken. He's a 17-year-old kid, and the most important thing for us was to get him out of jail as quickly as possible," said attorney Todd Shapiro.
Darius McClinton-Hunter was released on $15,000 bond. He and another suspect played football at their high school. Darius is a top high school football player in Texas with scholarship offers.
Hunter has two sons with his wife. Darius is his son from a previous relationship, but lives with them in a Dallas suburb.
Meantime, Torii Hunter sat out of Sunday night's game against the Texas Rangers. He flew back to California after that game, but ended up flying back to Texas hours before Monday's game against the Oakland A's.
"This is very tough for a father. Thanks for ur prayers and support. Be Blessed everyone!" he posted on his Twitter page.
Angels Manager Mike Scioscia said he is uncertain how long Torii Hunter will be away from the club. The team has placed him on the restricted list so another player can take his spot on the roster.
"It's just a place to put a player that has some issues they have to deal with, and we're going to take it one day at a time, and it's just a personal issue with Torii and his family right now," said Scioscia.
Police said they have been investigating the case for about a month and more charges could be filed.
Darius is due in a Texas courtroom Wednesday.
los angeles angels of anaheim, mlb
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- CA proposal: Kill switch for stolen phones?
41 min ago