Accuser of Torii Hunter's son changes story - attorney
DALLAS (KABC) -- The attorney defending the 17-year-old son of Los Angeles Angels outfielder Torii Hunter said the accuser recanted her story.
Darius McClinton-Hunter and three other boys were charged with sexual assault of a child, a second-degree felony.
Attorney Todd Shapiro said he has tape of a telephone conversation with the 16-year-old victim in which she recants her story. The conversation was between the girl and a teenage friend of the Hunter family.
"In that recording, she essentially has recanted everything. There wasn't any sex. He has never forced her to have any sexual contact with him, and especially on this particular night," Shapiro said. "The alleged victim has done a complete 180 turn."
Phone calls can be legally taped in Texas with one party's consent. The attorney said he will not release the tape publicly but will turn it over to authorities.
An arrest warrant shows the victim told police that McClinton-Hunter and another boy took her into a closet. While she kissed McClinton-Hunter willingly, she says he forced her to perform a sex act against her will.
In a statement, Prosper police spokesman Celso Martinez said the department's investigation of the case will continue but no details will be released.
Torii Hunter has been away from the Angels since his son's arrest.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles angels of anaheim, mlb
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate