Dodger Stadium getting facelift worth $100M
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- She just turned 50 last year, and the new owners decided it was time for a Dodger Stadium facelift. An estimated $100 million is being spent on a major stadium renovation.
"I'm worried because we only have 12 weeks until opening day, but I know we're going to get it done," said Dodgers President Stan Kasten.
Gone are the old scoreboards to be replaced by new and larger high-definition hexagon-shaped video boards.
"We are increasing them so we can get true HD-1080, so it'll be the highest resolution of any outdoor display in any sports facility in North America," said Janet Marie Smith of stadium planning and development.
For most of the fans at Dodger Stadium, using their cellphones or smartphones has been an exercise in frustration. But part of this new renovation project includes a cellphone tower in center field and WiFi hot spots.
"The ability to use your cellphone is very basic. It's no longer a luxury. So we just feel like it's not having the fourth wheel on your car. We gotta get it fixed," Smith said.
Just some of the other items on the fix-it list include wider concourses with more concessions and restrooms. And much of the seats behind the dugout have been torn out while crews build a new state-of-the-art clubhouse for the players.
"The entire clubhouse complex will be about twice as big as it was in the past, with all modern facilities. A brand new weight room, two batting cages right there by the dugout," Kasten said. "We wanted to bring Dodger Stadium into the 21st century. And we believe by March 28th when we play our first exhibition game, that's exactly where it'll be."
She was a jewel in 1962, and the hope is soon, Dodger Stadium will look better than ever.
los angeles dodgers, mlb, john hartung
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 57 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 43 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
30 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
49 min ago