Dodger Stadium getting facelift worth $100M
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- She just turned 50 last year, and the new owners decided it was time for a Dodger Stadium facelift. An estimated $100 million is being spent on a major stadium renovation.
"I'm worried because we only have 12 weeks until opening day, but I know we're going to get it done," said Dodgers President Stan Kasten.
Gone are the old scoreboards to be replaced by new and larger high-definition hexagon-shaped video boards.
"We are increasing them so we can get true HD-1080, so it'll be the highest resolution of any outdoor display in any sports facility in North America," said Janet Marie Smith of stadium planning and development.
For most of the fans at Dodger Stadium, using their cellphones or smartphones has been an exercise in frustration. But part of this new renovation project includes a cellphone tower in center field and WiFi hot spots.
"The ability to use your cellphone is very basic. It's no longer a luxury. So we just feel like it's not having the fourth wheel on your car. We gotta get it fixed," Smith said.
Just some of the other items on the fix-it list include wider concourses with more concessions and restrooms. And much of the seats behind the dugout have been torn out while crews build a new state-of-the-art clubhouse for the players.
"The entire clubhouse complex will be about twice as big as it was in the past, with all modern facilities. A brand new weight room, two batting cages right there by the dugout," Kasten said. "We wanted to bring Dodger Stadium into the 21st century. And we believe by March 28th when we play our first exhibition game, that's exactly where it'll be."
She was a jewel in 1962, and the hope is soon, Dodger Stadium will look better than ever.
los angeles dodgers, mlb, john hartung
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 54 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break