Dodgers speech: Boy professes love for Dodgers in Giants country
BURLINGAME, Calif. (KABC) -- A boy in the heart of San Francisco Giants country professed his love for the Los Angeles Dodgers at a school graduation, surprising the Bay-area crowd and showing the heart of a true fan.
At the fifth-grade graduation at a Burlingame elementary school, students were supposed to talk about their favorite school memory in a one-minute speech. Instead, Casey Johnstone chose to share his least favorite memory.
"It's when the Giants won the World Series," the 10-year-old told the San Mateo County crowd.
There were gasps and laughs -- and even a few claps.
"I was sick of it. And the next day, the whole school took a picture with everyone in Giants gear. And there I was watching the whole thing decked out in every piece of Dodger gear I had. The whole school, mostly fifth graders, were screaming 'Beat L.A.' right at me," he said.
Casey has never lived in Southern California, but he's a fan because his father, Ron Johnstone, is a fan. Ron Johnstone has never lived in the L.A. area either, but he says he became a fan in the '80s and never looked back.
"I'm a true fan, and true fans stand tough. True fans stay loyal to their team no matter what happens," Casey said as he finished his speech. "And one more thing, go Dodgers."
The young fan's sincere speech, which was posted on YouTube by his dad, grabbed the attention of the Dodgers. The organization reached out to Casey, and he'll now be throwing the first pitch at Tuesday's Dodger game against the Giants at Chavez Ravine.
los angeles dodgers, northern california, mlb
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 40 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen 31 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds