Golden Spikes Award goes to Florida C Zunino
Florida Gators catcher Mike Zunino won the 2012 Golden Spikes Award as baseball's top amateur player on Thursday.Florida Gators catcher Mike Zunino won the 2012 Golden Spikes Award as baseball's top amateur player on Thursday.
Zunino was chosen over pitchers Mark Appel of Stanford and Carlos Rodon of North Carolina State.
Zunino was selected by the Seattle Mariners with the third overall pick in June's MLB draft. Zunino, a consensus first-team All-American, is the first Florida player to win the award, and the Gators' first finalist since Matt LaPorta in 2007. Zunino also won the Dick Howser Trophy as the top collegiate player and was Baseball America's College Player of the Year.
He led the Gators with 19 home runs and 67 RBIs and hit .322. He led the nation in sacrifice flies and was third in doubles and fourth in home runs.
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Does your child have oral allergy syndrome?
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos