Lakers beat Celtics, 89-67, force Game 7
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Lakers beat the Boston Celtics, 89-67, to win NBA Finals Game 6 Tuesday night and even the series at three games apiece.
The Lakers had to win Game 6 to keep the championship dream alive. The Celtics beat the Lakers 92-86 in Game 5. The Celtics withstood 38 points from Kobe Bryant to beat the Lakers and took a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series in that game.
In Game 6, Kobe Bryant scored 26 points, Pau Gasol added 17 points and 13 rebounds, and the Lakers emphatically extended the NBA finals to a decisive seventh game.
Ron Artest added 15 points for the Lakers, who stared down elimination by jumping to a 22-point lead during a dazzling first half. With remarkable ease, the defending champions stretched the finals to the limit for the first time since 2005.
Ray Allen scored 19 points for the Celtics, who took an ugly pratfall on the verge of winning their unprecedented 18th title. It turns out their longtime rivals are still quite serious about earning their 16th.
Paul Pierce of the Celtics said way back before the finals even started, there wouldn't even be a Game 6. The media called him out on his now infamous quote.
"I don't regret that.I wasn't being cocky about it. I was just being confident in my team. I didn't say anything negative about the Lakers. I was just referring to what I wanted my team to do. That's all," said Pierce.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, boston celtics, celebrity, nba finals, nba
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 1 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 27 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
38 min ago