Turkish says Kobe 'not a political statement'
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Turkish Airlines is speaking out about its controversial endorsement deal with Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant.
The airline said Bryant has nothing to do with Turkey's political situation.
Many in Los Angeles' large Armenian community want Bryant to dump the deal because Turkey refuses to recognize the slaughter of 1.5 million Armenians from 1915-19 by the Ottoman Turks as genocide.
In a statement, Turkish Airlines said, "Kobe Bryant is a cultural figure, not a historian, and is in no way related to a sensitive and complex controversy over highly contested history. The relationship between Kobe and Turkish Airlines is a business endorsement partnership, not a political statement."
- Moorpark High on lockdown after threat made 8 min ago
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Body found in Corona; investigation underway
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped 12 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 35 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'