Mike Brown introduced as new Lakers head coach
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (KABC) -- Mike Brown was formally introduced as the new head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers during a news conference Tuesday in El Segundo on Tuesday.
Brown will replace Phil Jackson, who retired after coaching the team for the past 12 season. Jackson guided the team to five NBA championships.
"I have great respect for Phil Jackson and all of his accomplishments," Brown said during the news conference. "I'm not sure what size shoes he wears, but I'm not here to fill his shoes."
Brown said he has spoken to many of the Lakers players already, including Kobe Bryant.
"Kobe and I talked about a lot of things," Brown said. "We talked about family, we talked about last year, the team. He wanted to know what I had in store and going forward on both sides of the ball and what my beliefs are. And I thought the meeting in person as well as the conversation on the phone went very well."
"He's one of the greatest ever. His role will not change," Brown added.
Team executives have received heavy criticism from the media and fans for hiring Brown.
Brown coached the Cleveland Cavaliers for five seasons but spent the past year as an NBA analyst for ESPN. Two years ago, Brown was named NBA coach of the year.
Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said only 3 people were interviewed for the job. In order, they were Lakers assistant Brian Shaw, Rick Adelman and Brown.
Brown was so impressive in his interview that Jerry Buss, his son Jim Buss and Kupchak all agreed to look no further.
At the news conference, Brown said he wanted to lead them back to the finals.
"What happened to them has made them hungry," he said. "Hopefully, when we start training camp, I have 15 angry men. We don't play for second here. Simple as that."
Brown became the 22nd head coach in the franchise's history.
cleveland cavaliers, los angeles lakers, nba, rob fukuzaki
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 27 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 46 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour