Divorce details emerge in Kobe Bryant split
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Details are emerging about the divorce settlement between Lakers star Kobe Bryant and his soon to be ex-wife Vanessa. Vanessa Bryant will walk away from the marriage with tens of millions of dollars.
Vanessa is set to walk away with three of the couple's estates.
According to property records obtained by Eyewitness News, the titles to three Newport Beach mansions have been transferred to Vanessa Bryant this month.
Two were previously owned by Kobe. Ownership of the third estate was listed under Kobe's agent's name.
It's estimated Vanessa will leave the marriage with $75 million, according to TMZ.com.
But with Kobe's net worth pegged at $150 million, Vanessa's slice of the fortune may not be that out of line, according to family law attorney Steve Mindel.
"Half is the rule of thumb in California," said Mindel. "Half of the things that you acquired during the marriage from the money that you make during the marriage is going to be divided between the two people."
Mindel says the speed at which the Bryant divorce is moving indicates this may be a pre-negotiated settlement in the works for months or possibly years.
But with such a big payout up front, Mindel says it's unlikely Vanessa will get much spousal support, or anything Kobe makes after the divorce.
"Both parties are going to do just fine because Kobe's going to end up with half of the estate and he's going to end up with the majority of the money that he makes during the post-marriage period," said Mindel.
The Bryants have been married for 10 years. They tied the knot without a pre-nuptial agreement. Vanessa filed for divorce last month, citing Kobe's numerous affairs.
los angeles lakers, divorce, nba, rob hayes
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees