Lakers' Jordan Hill charged with felony assault
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- When the Los Angeles Lakers take the floor on Tuesday night for Game 2 against the Denver Nuggets, they may be without one of their key players.
According to the Houston District Attorney's Office, forward Jordan Hill has been charged with felony assault for allegedly choking his girlfriend, 28-year-old Darlene Luna, at Hill's Houston apartment. Prosecutors say the incident happened on Feb. 29 while he was still a member of the Houston Rockets.
According to court documents, the incident started with an argument with his girlfriend of two years over the couple's future. Hill's girlfriend says he hit her legs, threw her against a wall and put her in a choke hold.
A warrant has not yet been issued for his arrest, but if convicted, Hill could face two to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine. Hill, 24, has a court appearance scheduled for Tuesday in Houston.
The Lakers said in a statement, "We are aware of the media reports alleging an incident involving Jordan Hill. ... We do not have any details regarding these reports and therefore, as well as due to the personal and legal aspects, it would not be appropriate for us to comment."
The Lakers traded five-time NBA champion Derek Fisher to Houston in March for Hill.
During Game 1 on Sunday, Hill had a strong game off the bench, contributing 10 points and 10 rebounds to help the Lakers win 103-88.
When the news of the charges broke, Hill tweeted, "Wowwww," and "Unbelievable!!!!!"
While he cannot comment on the case, Hill said in a statement, "I'd like to apologize to the Lakers organization and to all of their fans for the untimeliness of these accusations. I promise to keep my focus and attention on the playoffs during this time and to helping my team win another championship."
los angeles lakers, nba
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead 12 min ago
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide