Matt Barnes arrested for threatening officer
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Former Los Angeles Lakers forward Matt Barnes is speaking out on Twitter after being arrested in Manhattan Beach on Monday night.
Barnes, 32, was arrested around 8:40 p.m. as he was walking on Manhattan Beach Boulevard. He had been wanted for an outstanding traffic warrant, but he was also taken into custody for threatening a police officer.
Police said an officer approached Barnes on foot and told him he was wanted for the warrant that originated in Manhattan Beach. He had a $26,000 bench warrant for failing to appear in court on the charge of driving with a suspended license.
Barnes was allegedly uncooperative, so he was also booked for allegedly threatening the officer, which is a felony.
"Mr. Barnes made some verbal threats toward the officers," said Manhattan Beach Police spokesman Stephanie Martin.
Barnes was arrested without further incident. He was in jail for less than three hours before he posted $51,000 bail shortly before midnight. Police would not specify on the nature of the threats.
Barnes took to his Twitter to say, "For all you perfect people out there looking at me w/your nose in the air, who have "NEVER" missed a court date for a "TRAFFIC VIOLATION" God Bless You."
Barnes is due in a Torrance courtroom to answer to charges on Oct. 1.
This wasn't the first arrest for Barnes. In September 2010, he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence with his fiancée, but in a statement, she later denied that Barnes had ever physically assaulted her.
Barnes, a UCLA alumnus, was the Lakers' top-scoring reserve this past season, averaging 7.8 points per game. He is an unrestricted free agent.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, nba
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 15 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 27 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution 7 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler