Matt Barnes arrested for threatening officer
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Former Los Angeles Lakers forward Matt Barnes is speaking out on Twitter after being arrested in Manhattan Beach on Monday night.
Barnes, 32, was arrested around 8:40 p.m. as he was walking on Manhattan Beach Boulevard. He had been wanted for an outstanding traffic warrant, but he was also taken into custody for threatening a police officer.
Police said an officer approached Barnes on foot and told him he was wanted for the warrant that originated in Manhattan Beach. He had a $26,000 bench warrant for failing to appear in court on the charge of driving with a suspended license.
Barnes was allegedly uncooperative, so he was also booked for allegedly threatening the officer, which is a felony.
"Mr. Barnes made some verbal threats toward the officers," said Manhattan Beach Police spokesman Stephanie Martin.
Barnes was arrested without further incident. He was in jail for less than three hours before he posted $51,000 bail shortly before midnight. Police would not specify on the nature of the threats.
Barnes took to his Twitter to say, "For all you perfect people out there looking at me w/your nose in the air, who have "NEVER" missed a court date for a "TRAFFIC VIOLATION" God Bless You."
Barnes is due in a Torrance courtroom to answer to charges on Oct. 1.
This wasn't the first arrest for Barnes. In September 2010, he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence with his fiancée, but in a statement, she later denied that Barnes had ever physically assaulted her.
Barnes, a UCLA alumnus, was the Lakers' top-scoring reserve this past season, averaging 7.8 points per game. He is an unrestricted free agent.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, nba
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt 40 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
31 min ago