Seahawks eye USC's Pete Carroll for coach
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Over the last several years, when the college football season ends, the rumor mill begins regarding USC head coach Pete Carroll jumping to the NFL. But this time it seems like it's close to a done deal with Carroll becoming the next head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.
Carroll was a guest commentator during ABC's coverage of the Citi BCS National Championship game Thursday night, but didn't mention anything about leaving nor was he asked.
The Seahawks fired their head coach Jim Mora Friday morning after just one season, opening the speculation. Numerous reports say the Seahawks were targeting Carroll as Mora's replacement. Carroll reportedly met with Seahawk officials, including CEO Todd Leiweke, earlier this week in Los Angeles to gage his interest in the job.
The Seahawks also have vacancies in their general manager and team president positions.
ESPN reporter Chris Mortenson says at this point it would be surprising if Carroll wasn't hired by the Seahawks.
Carroll has a 33-31 record in the NFL as a head coach of the Jets in 1994 and with the Patriots in 1997 through 1999.
Some of the names already surfacing as Carroll's replacement are Oregon State head coach Mike Riley, Jaguars coach Jack del Rio and Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who are both former Trojans.
seattle seahawks, usc trojans, nfl, rob fukuzaki
- Malaysian official: Missing jet hijacked 24 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake 15 min ago
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)