Seahawks eye USC's Pete Carroll for coach
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Over the last several years, when the college football season ends, the rumor mill begins regarding USC head coach Pete Carroll jumping to the NFL. But this time it seems like it's close to a done deal with Carroll becoming the next head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.
Carroll was a guest commentator during ABC's coverage of the Citi BCS National Championship game Thursday night, but didn't mention anything about leaving nor was he asked.
The Seahawks fired their head coach Jim Mora Friday morning after just one season, opening the speculation. Numerous reports say the Seahawks were targeting Carroll as Mora's replacement. Carroll reportedly met with Seahawk officials, including CEO Todd Leiweke, earlier this week in Los Angeles to gage his interest in the job.
The Seahawks also have vacancies in their general manager and team president positions.
ESPN reporter Chris Mortenson says at this point it would be surprising if Carroll wasn't hired by the Seahawks.
Carroll has a 33-31 record in the NFL as a head coach of the Jets in 1994 and with the Patriots in 1997 through 1999.
Some of the names already surfacing as Carroll's replacement are Oregon State head coach Mike Riley, Jaguars coach Jack del Rio and Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who are both former Trojans.
seattle seahawks, usc trojans, nfl, rob fukuzaki
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 55 min ago
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter' 11 min ago
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home 43 min ago
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'