Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback dies at 72
SANTA FE, N.M. (KABC) -- Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Don Meredith died at the age of 72 after suffering a brain hemorrhage.
Meredith's wife, Susan, confirmed the former football star's death. Meredith had lapsed into a coma after suffering a brain hemorrhage on Sunday in Santa Fe.
"Don Meredith was one of the most colorful characters in NFL history. He was star on the field who became an even bigger star on television," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "He brought joy to football fans, from his play in historic NFL games like the Ice Bowl to his great personality that helped launch the success of Monday Night Football."
According to Meredith's wife, a private graveside ceremony is being planned, and family members are traveling to Santa Fe.
"He was the best there was," she said, describing him as kind, warm and funny. "We lost a good one."
Alongside Howard Cosell, Meredith was an original member of ABC's "Monday Night Football" broadcast team in the early 70s. His colorful commentary included the catch phrase "Turn out the lights, the party's over."
Before making it big in TV, Meredith was a star quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys throughout the 60s.
While he never led the Cowboys to the Super Bowl, Meredith was one of the franchise's first stars.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, dallas cowboys, nfl
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 27 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 45 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)