Jim Harbaugh leaving Stanford to coach 49ers
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Jim Harbaugh is leaving Stanford to coach the San Francisco 49ers.
According to ESPN, Harbaugh agreed to a five-year, $25 million contract to become the 49ers' head coach. The announcement was made during a news conference Friday afternoon in San Francisco. Harbaugh said his goal is to win a Lombardi Trophy for "one of the legendary franchises in all of football."
Harbaugh will replace fired coach Mike Singletary. He also had been considering an offer from Stanford to stay put.
Harbaugh decided to make the jump to the pros even though San Francisco has missed the playoffs for eight straight seasons and Orange Bowl MVP quarterback Andrew Luck decided to remain at Stanford for another season.
"I can feel the enthusiasm coursing through my veins right now," Harbaugh said. "I accept this competitive challenge willingly."
The Cardinal (12-1) finished with a school-record 12 wins following a 40-12 victory over Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.
The 47-year-old Harbaugh went 58-27 overall as a college coach and 29-21 in four seasons at Stanford. He took over a 1-11 team when he was hired in December 2006 and quickly turned the program back into a winner and bowl contender.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 44 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 34 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti meet with LA churchgoers
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- 2 FBI agents killed in Va. training accident
- 6.5-mag quake hits coast of Chile; No tsunami 13 min ago
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff 28 min ago
- Yahoo buys Tumblr in $1.1 billion deal 39 min ago
- Intermittent fasting diets: Experts weigh in 13 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
4 min ago