Lawrence Taylor pleads guilty to misdemeanors
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Former NFL player Lawrence Taylor pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges and has to register as a sex offender.
The 51-year-old ex-linebacker pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute. The charges carry no jail time but he must serve six years probation.
"She told me she was 19," Taylor said in court as he admitted having sex with a prostitute who turned out to be a 16-year-old Bronx runaway.
Taylor was arrested in May at a hotel. He had previously pleaded not guilty to third-degree rape, patronizing a prostitute, sexual abuse and endangering a child.
He had been resisting a plea deal for months.
According to prosecutors, Taylor had been offered a six-month jail term and 10 years of probation in exchange for pleading guilty to a felony. In that case, Taylor would have also had to register as a sex offender. His defense team turned that offer down, calling it unacceptable.
Taylor was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1999. He also competed in ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" in 2009.
The Associated Press Contributed to this report.
arrest, celebrity, court case, sex crimes, nfl
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- OC church burglary suspect in custody
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people 50 min ago
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video