Lawrence Taylor pleads guilty to misdemeanors
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Former NFL player Lawrence Taylor pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges and has to register as a sex offender.
The 51-year-old ex-linebacker pleaded guilty to sexual misconduct and patronizing a prostitute. The charges carry no jail time but he must serve six years probation.
"She told me she was 19," Taylor said in court as he admitted having sex with a prostitute who turned out to be a 16-year-old Bronx runaway.
Taylor was arrested in May at a hotel. He had previously pleaded not guilty to third-degree rape, patronizing a prostitute, sexual abuse and endangering a child.
He had been resisting a plea deal for months.
According to prosecutors, Taylor had been offered a six-month jail term and 10 years of probation in exchange for pleading guilty to a felony. In that case, Taylor would have also had to register as a sex offender. His defense team turned that offer down, calling it unacceptable.
Taylor was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1999. He also competed in ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" in 2009.
The Associated Press Contributed to this report.
arrest, celebrity, court case, sex crimes, nfl
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy 25 min ago
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver 12 min ago
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film