Proposed NFL stadium site gets name change
INDUSTRY, Calif. (KABC) -- Planners of a 75,000-seat football stadium in Industry have stopped using the city's name when referring to the location of the proposed venue.
The 600-acre site is now being exclusively referred to as Grand Grossing, according to John Semcken, vice president of developer Majestic Realty Co.
The change came at the request of NFL officials, who would have to support a team's move to the new $800 million stadium.
"I was specifically asked if I could change the name of the city by the National Football League, and I said yes and I did it," Semcken said. "It's an impression that they have, which was a negative impression, and there's no reason to have it. You just get rid of it."
Until the venue is built, the name will be used to promote Majestic's proposal - now known as Los Angeles Stadium.
Grand Crossing is one of two competing proposals that aim to bring pro football back to Los Angeles 15 years after the Rams and Raiders left the nation's second-largest TV market. Sports and entertainment company AEG has been advancing a rival plan to build a 64,000-seat stadium on the downtown site of the Los Angeles convention center.
Both camps have said they hope to recruit a team - and possibly two - from among franchises in the league that need a new stadium to maximize revenue but are unable to get one built in their current location.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested 46 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke