Lawrence Taylor gets probation in teen rape case
NEW YORK (KABC) -- A New York City judge sentenced former pro football star Lawrence Taylor to six years probation for an encounter with an underage prostitute.
In January, the New York Giants ex-linebacker pleaded guilty to misdemeanor sexual misconduct and having sex with an underage prostitute.
The girl, now 17, appeared in court with attorney Gloria Allred. Allred asked the judge if her client could read a victim-impact statement, but the request was denied. The judge said that's only allowed in felony cases.
The teen said after court that Taylor took "something precious" from her and should be behind bars. The girl has been identified in court and by Allred only by her initials, C.F.
The teen denied she is a prostitute and said another man forced her to go to Taylor's hotel room in May 2010. She believes Taylor could tell that she had been beaten.
"I believe Mr. Taylor could see my face and how young I was," she said.
She added, "I did what he told me to do because I was afraid what would happen if I didn't."
The other man has been identified in a separate federal prosecution in Manhattan as Rasheed Davis, who is accused of acting as the girl's pimp and who allegedly assaulted her and brought her to Taylor's hotel room. Prosecutors have credited Taylor with helping them in that case.
Taylor will have to follow requirements as a registered sex offender. However, the judge postponed until April 12 a hearing to determine what level of sex offender will be assigned to him.
All sex offenders have to report their addresses annually and report changes within 10 days.
In Level 1 and 2, offenders have to get their picture taken every three years; in Level 3, it's every year. A Level 3 offender also has to report the name and address of his employer and advise of any change.
Taylor was arrested May 6 at a Holiday Inn in Montebello, N.Y., after the girl's uncle contacted New York City police. The ex-athlete was charged with third-degree rape because she was underage.
The Associated Press Contributed to this report.
arrest, celebrity, court case, sex crimes, nfl
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 22 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 13 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 9 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video