Lawrence Taylor gets probation in teen rape case
NEW YORK (KABC) -- A New York City judge sentenced former pro football star Lawrence Taylor to six years probation for an encounter with an underage prostitute.
In January, the New York Giants ex-linebacker pleaded guilty to misdemeanor sexual misconduct and having sex with an underage prostitute.
The girl, now 17, appeared in court with attorney Gloria Allred. Allred asked the judge if her client could read a victim-impact statement, but the request was denied. The judge said that's only allowed in felony cases.
The teen said after court that Taylor took "something precious" from her and should be behind bars. The girl has been identified in court and by Allred only by her initials, C.F.
The teen denied she is a prostitute and said another man forced her to go to Taylor's hotel room in May 2010. She believes Taylor could tell that she had been beaten.
"I believe Mr. Taylor could see my face and how young I was," she said.
She added, "I did what he told me to do because I was afraid what would happen if I didn't."
The other man has been identified in a separate federal prosecution in Manhattan as Rasheed Davis, who is accused of acting as the girl's pimp and who allegedly assaulted her and brought her to Taylor's hotel room. Prosecutors have credited Taylor with helping them in that case.
Taylor will have to follow requirements as a registered sex offender. However, the judge postponed until April 12 a hearing to determine what level of sex offender will be assigned to him.
All sex offenders have to report their addresses annually and report changes within 10 days.
In Level 1 and 2, offenders have to get their picture taken every three years; in Level 3, it's every year. A Level 3 offender also has to report the name and address of his employer and advise of any change.
Taylor was arrested May 6 at a Holiday Inn in Montebello, N.Y., after the girl's uncle contacted New York City police. The ex-athlete was charged with third-degree rape because she was underage.
The Associated Press Contributed to this report.
arrest, celebrity, court case, sex crimes, nfl
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'