Judge rules for NFL players against lockout
ST. PAUL, Minn. (KABC) -- A federal judge granted an injunction to a group of NFL players Monday that would lift an owner-imposed lockout.
National Football League players are in a battle with team owners over collective bargaining. Negotiations between the players union and the owners broke down on March 11. The owners ordered a player lockout. Players disbanded the union.
Some players filed an injunction together and an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL. U.S. District Judge Susan Nelson ruled Monday, granting a request for a preliminary injunction to lift the imposed lockout.
The players want a new collective bargaining agreement.
U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson said she was swayed by the players' argument that that the lockout, now in its second month, was causing irreparable harm to their careers.
The owners argued it was their right to institute the lockout and suggested Nelson didn't have jurisdiction while the National Labor Relations Board considers an unfair labor charge filed by the league that players didn't negotiate in good faith.
Nelson disagreed, and said the NLRB proceeding shouldn't be used to affect the court case here.
Nelson heard arguments on the injunction at a hearing on April 6 and ordered the two sides to resume mediation while she was considering her decision. The owners and players, who failed to reach consensus after 16 days of mediated talks earlier this year, met over four days with a federal magistrate but did not announce any progress on solving the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.
They are not scheduled to meet again until May 16, four days after another judge holds a hearing on whether players should get damages in their related fight with owners over some $4 billion in broadcast revenue.
The NFL reportedly generates $9 billion annually.
NFL team owners are expected appeal the judge's ruling.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
nfl, court case, nfl
- I-5 through Grapevine closed due to snow, ice 20 min ago
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US Korean War vet back in CA after detention 4 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees