Sports agent Leigh Steinberg files for bankruptcy
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- The sports agent that inspired Tom Cruise's character in "Jerry Maguire" has filed for bankruptcy protection.
Leigh Steinberg's attorneys filed the Chapter 7 petition in Orange County on Wednesday.
Steinberg said he takes full responsibility for millions of dollars of debt, telling The Associated Press that he "lost track" of his finances while he was in rehab. He said he struggled with alcohol for years but has been sober since 2010.
The bankruptcy filing comes weeks after a bench warrant was authorized for Steinberg after he failed to show up to a hearing for a $1.4 million debt case.
Steinberg has represented many NFL stars, including Troy Aikman, Steve Young and Ben Roethlisberger
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 53 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 30 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 2 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)