NFL coaches fired after regular season ends
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (KABC) -- Less than 24 hours after the regular season ended, NFL firings began. Several coaches were let go Monday morning.
In a span of about 90 minutes Monday morning, four NFL coaches -- Philadelphia Eagles' Andy Reid, Cleveland Browns' Pat Shurmur, Kansas City Chiefs' Romeo Crennel and the Buffalo Bills' Chan Gailey -- were fired by their teams after losing seasons.
A short time later, the Chicago Bears announced it was letting go of coach Lovie Smith after the team missed the playoffs for the fifth time in six seasons. None of the moves were surprising, and more were expected.
Along with Shurmur, the Browns also dismissed GM Tom Heckert. Reid, who was with the Eagles for 14 seasons, was the longest tenured of the group.
Crennel was coach of the Chiefs for only one full season. Kansas City matched the fewest wins in franchise history, closing out the season 2-14. The team did not make a decision on embattled general manager Scott Pioli.
The New York Jets decided to keep their coach, Rex Ryan, but fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
The Arizona Cardinals have fired coach Ken Whisenhunt after six seasons that included the long-suffering franchise's only Super Bowl appearance.
The team also ousted general manager Rod Graves, who had been with the franchise for 16 years. He'd been general manager since 2007.
The housecleaning by Cardinals President Michael Bidwill, son of team owner Bill Bidwill, followed a season that saw the team start 4-0 but lose 11 of its last 12 to finish 5-11.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
nfl, seattle seahawks, green bay packers, nfl
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss 22 min ago
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease 34 min ago
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Hot yoga: Hazardous for your health?
26 min ago