Brian Banks, exonerated Long Beach rape convict, signs with Atlanta Falcons
ATLANTA (KABC) -- A Long Beach man exonerated of a rape charge and prison sentence that derailed his promising professional football career has signed with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons, the team announced Wednesday.
Brian Banks, 27, served five years of a rape and kidnapping conviction in prison and five years' probation after a Long Beach Polytechnic High School classmate accused him of rape. Banks was a top national high-school football recruit at the time and had been offered a scholarship to USC. He was subsequently registered as a sex offender for life.
His accuser later recanted her claim. The California Innocence Project brought Banks' case before the original trial judge and he was exonerated of all charges on May 24, 2012.
Banks, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighing 250 pounds, has practiced with several professional teams since May 2012, including the Seattle Seahawks, the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Diego Chargers, as well as the Falcons. He played professionally for two games with the now-defunct United Football League for the Las Vegas Locomotives.
"We had a chance to work him out last year and have been monitoring his progress since then," Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff said in a statement released by the team. "He has worked extremely hard for this chance over the last year and he has shown us that he is prepared for this opportunity. We are happy that Brian will have a chance to live out his dream of playing in the NFL and we look forward to seeing him on the field."
Banks has become a spokesman for the California Innocence Project, which works to exonerate the wrongly accused.
He is expected to attend when the Falcons hold their first offseason workout on April 22.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
atlanta falcons, nfl
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 35 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 9 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 22 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 16 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'