Ex-NFL player Darren Sharper pleads not guilty in rape case
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A former NFL player accused of drugging and raping two women has pleaded not guilty.
Darren Sharper, 38, was arraigned on Thursday. He had been free on $200,000 bail, but that was increased to $1 million, which he posted after the hearing.
He faces multiple felony charges related to the alleged rape of two women he met at a West Hollywood nightclub. Authorities say the assaults occurred in October 2013 and January of this year.
Officials say there may be more victims in other jurisdictions. According to prosecutors, Sharper is being investigated in three more states and a recent allegation has surfaced in Miami.
His attorneys say he will claim that any sexual contact was consensual. He is due back in court on April 15.
Sharper played 14 seasons in the NFL from 1997-2010 with Green Bay, Minnesota and New Orleans. He retired after the 2010 season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
arrest, nfl, lapd, sex crimes, sexual assault, nfl
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 19 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 46 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 8 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 12 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 14 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
48 min ago