Ex-NFL player Darren Sharper pleads not guilty in rape case
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A former NFL player accused of drugging and raping two women has pleaded not guilty.
Darren Sharper, 38, was arraigned on Thursday. He had been free on $200,000 bail, but that was increased to $1 million, which he posted after the hearing.
He faces multiple felony charges related to the alleged rape of two women he met at a West Hollywood nightclub. Authorities say the assaults occurred in October 2013 and January of this year.
Officials say there may be more victims in other jurisdictions. According to prosecutors, Sharper is being investigated in three more states and a recent allegation has surfaced in Miami.
His attorneys say he will claim that any sexual contact was consensual. He is due back in court on April 15.
Sharper played 14 seasons in the NFL from 1997-2010 with Green Bay, Minnesota and New Orleans. He retired after the 2010 season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
arrest, nfl, lapd, sex crimes, sexual assault, nfl
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 50 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre