Powell, LB for undefeated Dolphins, dies at 65
Jesse Powell, a linebacker for the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins, has died at a hospital in West Texas.LUBBOCK, Texas -- Jesse Powell, a linebacker for the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins, has died at a hospital in West Texas.
A spokesman for University Medical Center in Lubbock says Powell died Thursday. He was 65. No cause of death was provided Friday by UMC.
Powell was born in the Texas Panhandle town of Matador. He starred at West Texas State, now West Texas A&M, before the Dolphins chose him in the ninth round of the 1969 draft.
Powell spent his five-year NFL career with Miami, including a perfect 17-0 season leading to a Super Bowl victory over Washington.
Powell, who quit the NFL after knee surgery, was an insurance agent in Lubbock until his recent retirement. A memorial service has been scheduled for Tuesday at Monterey Church of Christ in Lubbock.
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly killed woman 46 min ago
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard 36 min ago
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again 46 min ago
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- James Franco seeks $500K to bankroll movies
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos