LA Kings announcer Bob Miller hopes for Game 5 Stanley Cup win
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- High above the Staples Center ice, Bob Miller was finally back home Wednesday night. The so-called "golden voice" of the Los Angeles Kings for 39 years had the chance to call the potential Stanley Cup clincher.
"I'm really looking forward to doing this because I thought, don't tell me 39 years and I'm not going to get to describe the last 30 seconds of when they might win the Stanley Cup," he said.
When the Kings made it to the second round of the playoffs, Miller and TV broadcast partner Jim Fox had the plugs pulled on their mics. NBC had exclusive television rights the rest of the way.
Fans petitioned NBC then a groundswell of support for Miller happened on the Internet. So the team decided to record Miller and Fox doing play-by-play of Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final to use in a possible championship DVD.
"Where would you rather be if you're a broadcaster?" he asked. "You want to be in that situation and so all during the playoffs, I'm thinking, 'Why are we not doing this game?'"
The 73-year-old hall of fame broadcaster, who says his worst fear is retiring and then having the Kings win the Stanley Cup the following year, was hoping for a celebration Wednesday night. While there was hope late in the game, the Kings chance at winning the cup was lost. This meant that after 39 years Miller must now wait at least three more days.
"The last four years, the Stanley Cup has been won on the road," he said. "Well, I hope it's five years in a row, and the Kings wrap it up in New Jersey."
The good news for Miller is that he too will head to New Jersey and will call Game 5 in the same fashion that he called Game 4. Only this time, he's hoping for a different result.
los angeles kings, new jersey devils, nhl, john hartung
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 26 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 1 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 13 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 7 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'