LA Kings take home NHL Stanley Cup for 1st time in franchise history
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Kings captured the Stanley Cup for the first time in franchise history Monday night, defeating the New Jersey Devils in six games in the finals.
On their way to winning hockey's greatest prize, the Kings were 10-1 on the road this post season and 16-4 overall. Those wins included a 4-1 upset of the top-seeded Vancouver Canucks in the first round, a sweep of the St. Louis Blues in the second round and a 4-1 win over the Phoenix Coyotes in the Western Conference Finals.
After jumping to a 3-0 finals series lead, the Kings lost Game 4 at home and Game 5 in Newark.
In Game 6, the Kings started off hot, scoring three goals within 6 minutes in the 1st period to take a 3-0 lead. Dustin Brown scored twice for L.A., once on a power play in the 11th minute and another in a power play in the 12th minute. Trevor Lewis chipped in with a backhand from 8-feet out during a power play in the 15th minute.
In the 2nd period, Jeff Carter scored in the 1st period to give the Kings a 4-0 advantage.
New Jersey's Adam Henrique saved the Devils from being shutout when he scored in the 18th minute of the 2nd period.
The first and last time the Kings were in the Stanley Cup Finals was in the 1992-93 season. They Kings defeated the Montreal Canadiens in Game 1, but lost the next four games.
los angeles kings, new jersey devils, nhl
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke