LA Kings spend individual time with Stanley Cup trophy
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Kings players are continuing the celebration of their first-ever Stanley Cup title by making the rounds with Lord Stanley's Cup.
On Wednesday night, the hockey players were at Dodger Stadium to throw ceremonial first pitches and pose for a group picture with the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The hockey champs appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Tuesday night with the coveted trophy. According to tradition, each player gets a day with the cup to do or take it wherever he pleases. Anze Kopitar said he already drank out of it.
"I'm sure there will be some creative guys that are going to think of some different things," Kopitar said.
Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell said he would be taking the cup on a helicopter ride to the top of a mountain.
The rules say only players can drink out of the cup, so Kings captain Dustin Brown's kids decided to just blow milk bubbles in it.
"My oldest one, he's been talking about it for as long as the playoffs have started," Brown told Jimmy Kimmel. "My middle one kissed the cup first thing in the morning."
The victory parade, which is open to the public, kicks off Thursday at noon at the corner of 5th and Figueroa streets in downtown Los Angeles. The team and trophy will make their way down the one-mile route toward the Staples Center, where a fan rally will be held. The Kings offered 18,000 free rally tickets on its website, and all of them were snatched up. Some tickets are already selling on the Internet for as much as $450.
"Is it worth it? I'm sure it's worth it," said Kings fan Frank Fregoso. "It's just, real fans wouldn't sell tickets that way."
Police advise fans planning to attend the parade to line up on Figueroa Street between Fifth Street and Chick Hearn Court. Crews prepared for the celebration by setting up security cameras along the parade route.
Full live coverage of the victory parade and festivities start at 11 a.m. PT on ABC7 and abc7.com.
los angeles kings, new jersey devils, nhl
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian 58 min ago
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Alcohol sting busts adults buying for minors 42 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- High turnout seen at secession vote in Crimea 25 min ago
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report