LA Kings spend individual time with Stanley Cup trophy
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Kings players are continuing the celebration of their first-ever Stanley Cup title by making the rounds with Lord Stanley's Cup.
On Wednesday night, the hockey players were at Dodger Stadium to throw ceremonial first pitches and pose for a group picture with the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The hockey champs appeared on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" Tuesday night with the coveted trophy. According to tradition, each player gets a day with the cup to do or take it wherever he pleases. Anze Kopitar said he already drank out of it.
"I'm sure there will be some creative guys that are going to think of some different things," Kopitar said.
Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell said he would be taking the cup on a helicopter ride to the top of a mountain.
The rules say only players can drink out of the cup, so Kings captain Dustin Brown's kids decided to just blow milk bubbles in it.
"My oldest one, he's been talking about it for as long as the playoffs have started," Brown told Jimmy Kimmel. "My middle one kissed the cup first thing in the morning."
The victory parade, which is open to the public, kicks off Thursday at noon at the corner of 5th and Figueroa streets in downtown Los Angeles. The team and trophy will make their way down the one-mile route toward the Staples Center, where a fan rally will be held. The Kings offered 18,000 free rally tickets on its website, and all of them were snatched up. Some tickets are already selling on the Internet for as much as $450.
"Is it worth it? I'm sure it's worth it," said Kings fan Frank Fregoso. "It's just, real fans wouldn't sell tickets that way."
Police advise fans planning to attend the parade to line up on Figueroa Street between Fifth Street and Chick Hearn Court. Crews prepared for the celebration by setting up security cameras along the parade route.
Full live coverage of the victory parade and festivities start at 11 a.m. PT on ABC7 and abc7.com.
los angeles kings, new jersey devils, nhl
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 53 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- California farmers to get more water
6 min ago