LA Kings' Drew Doughty accused of sexual assault
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One week after the Los Angeles Kings celebrated their first Stanley Cup win, defenseman Drew Doughty is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault.
A 25-year-old woman says that she met Doughty at Baja Sharkeez in Hermosa Beach in March. She claims that after she turned down Doughty's advances in front of several of his teammates, he shoved her into a cab and took her home to sexually assault her. She reported the incident to police that same day.
However, there are doubts about the woman's credibility. When police asked the woman what punishment she thought Doughty should receive, she said, "I don't want him to win the Stanley Cup."
The alleged victim reportedly hired Gloria Allred to represent her. But in a statement made to Eyewitness News on Wednesday, Allred neither confirmed nor denied that she is representing Doughty's accuser.
As of Wednesday morning, the Kings did not have a statement on the investigation because Doughty had not been charged. His attorney, Craig Renetzky, said the ongoing criminal investigation is under review by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. Prosecutors are expected to decide this week whether or not to file charges.
"The allegations are baseless," Renetzky said. "We believe that in a matter of a few days the District Attorney's Office is going to conclude that they're baseless."
Doughty, 22, is the Kings' top-paid player annually. He scored two goals and had four assists in the Stanley Cup Finals.
los angeles kings, nhl
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 6 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 12 min ago
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role