LA Kings' Drew Doughty accused of sexual assault
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One week after the Los Angeles Kings celebrated their first Stanley Cup win, defenseman Drew Doughty is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault.
A 25-year-old woman says that she met Doughty at Baja Sharkeez in Hermosa Beach in March. She claims that after she turned down Doughty's advances in front of several of his teammates, he shoved her into a cab and took her home to sexually assault her. She reported the incident to police that same day.
However, there are doubts about the woman's credibility. When police asked the woman what punishment she thought Doughty should receive, she said, "I don't want him to win the Stanley Cup."
The alleged victim reportedly hired Gloria Allred to represent her. But in a statement made to Eyewitness News on Wednesday, Allred neither confirmed nor denied that she is representing Doughty's accuser.
As of Wednesday morning, the Kings did not have a statement on the investigation because Doughty had not been charged. His attorney, Craig Renetzky, said the ongoing criminal investigation is under review by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. Prosecutors are expected to decide this week whether or not to file charges.
"The allegations are baseless," Renetzky said. "We believe that in a matter of a few days the District Attorney's Office is going to conclude that they're baseless."
Doughty, 22, is the Kings' top-paid player annually. He scored two goals and had four assists in the Stanley Cup Finals.
los angeles kings, nhl
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- DUI driver hits sign, car and pedestrian 52 min ago
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Alcohol sting busts adults buying for minors 36 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- High turnout seen at secession vote in Crimea 19 min ago
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report