Ice ready for Kings-Ducks hockey game at Dodger Stadium
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The ice rink is ready for the Kings-Ducks game at Dodger Stadium Saturday. It will be the first outdoor National Hockey League game in California.
"This will be a sporting event like no other that has ever been seen in Southern California," said Kings President, Business Operations Luc Robitaille.
The first-place Anaheim Ducks look to increase their lead in the Pacific Division, while the L.A. Kings hope to snap a four-game losing streak.
Jordan Sparks, the 2007 "American Idol" champion, will sing the national anthem, and legendary rock band KISS will perform before the game and during the first intermission.
The first and second intermission will also feature a beach volleyball game on the sand court set up in left field, and Olympians Kerri Walsh, April Ross and Phil Dalhausser will be among the players, officials revealed.
The game will kick off a five-game NHL Stadium Series, which consists of games Sunday and Wednesday at New York's Yankee Stadium, March 1 at Chicago's Soldier Field and March 2 at BC Place in Vancouver, British Columbia.
"Our goal with the NHL Stadium Series games is to give our fans an unforgettable experience," said NHL Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Brian Jennings.
It will be the first outdoor regular-season NHL game played in the U.S. west of the Mississippi River and the southern-most. The high for Saturday is expected to be 74 degrees, with a low of 50 degrees expected.
Officials are confident that the weather will not be a problem for them. Workers have constructed a one-of-a-kind, 53-foot, 300-ton capacity mobile refrigeration unit that pumps as much as 3,000 gallons of glycol coolant into custom-made aluminum trays that are configured on the field of the stadium.
"Our machine can maintain the ice," said Don Renzulli of NHL, adding that a reflective blanket is protecting the ice from the sun.
Approximately 55,000 people are expected to attend the historic night at Dodger Stadium.
City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles kings, anaheim ducks, nhl
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 26 min ago
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video