Canada prime minister wants NHLers in Sochi
Prime Minister Stephen Harper is urging NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league's stars play in the Sochi Olympics.
OTTAWA -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper is urging NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to let the league's stars play in the Sochi Olympics.
Harper says he speaks for all Canadians who want to see the country's top players don the Maple Leaf at the Winter Games next year. NHL players have been part of the Olympics since 1998 in Nagano, Japan.
The league is mulling whether it is worth shutting down its season for a few weeks to allow its players to take part.
The NHL, International Olympic Committee, International Ice Hockey Federation and NHL Players' Association met earlier this year to discuss the matter.
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 36 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack 47 min ago
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos