I'll Have Another out of Belmont Stakes, retiring
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner I'll Have Another will not run in the Belmont Stakes, and will not run another race due to an injury to his left front leg.
The thoroughbred was trying to become the first Triple Crown winner in 34 years.
The 3-year-old colt started out the season with little fanfare, but the underdog became the favorite to with the Belmont.
Trainers said they noticed a problem with the colt's leg on Thursday. An examination by doctors on Friday found that the animal had the start of tendonitis.
"Yesterday he galloped great, but in the afternoon, we noticed some loss of definition in his left front leg," trainer Doug O'Neill said. "We did just an easy gallop today. I thought he looked great on the track, and then cooling out, you could tell the swelling was back."
O'Neill said a doctor told him I'll Have Another could race again after 3-to-6 months, but a decision was made to retired the horse.
"It was unanimous between the Reddhams and my brother and I and everyone at the barn to retire him," O'Neill said.
News of the retirement has left the horse-racing world stunned. Experts say fans will miss the electrifying performances he brought to the track, but that the horse will have a successful life when he is put out to stud.
"This is a horse who was bought for $35,000 at public auction in Florida a year ago April. Coming out of the Preakness, he was probably worth somewhere between $12- and $15 million," said Mike Willman, Santa Anita Park spokesman. "It's a blow to everyone involved."
animal news, sports, rob hayes
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide 24 min ago
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- OC man convicted of estranged wife's shooting
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing 13 min ago
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy 42 min ago