Boxer 'Macho' Camacho is brain dead, doctor says
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (KABC) -- Former boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho is clinically brain dead after being shot in the head, doctors said Thursday.
Camacho's family is considering whether to remove him from life support. More tests are going to be done, but late Wednesday Camacho showed irregular brain activity.
The 50-year-old was shot on Tuesday night as he sat in a car with his friend outside a bar in Puerto Rico. His friend, 49-year-old Adrian Mojica Moreno, was shot and killed.
Police said two assailants fled in an SUV but no arrests have been made and no motive has been disclosed. According to investigators, officers found nine small bags of cocaine in the friend's pocket, and a 10th bag open inside the car.
Camacho, who battled drugs and alcohol over the years, won world titles in the super lightweight, lightweight and junior welterweight divisions in the 1980s.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 23 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
3 min ago