'Macho' Camacho dies after taken off life support
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (KABC) -- Former championship boxer Hector "Macho" Camacho died Saturday after being taken off life support.
Doctors say he went into cardiac arrest overnight, and that's when his family decided it was time to let him go. His mother said she decided it was time for doctors to disconnect life support over the objections of the boxer's eldest son, Hector Jr., because there was no chance of recovery.
Camacho was declared brain dead on Thursday, following a shooting outside a bar near his home town in Puerto Rico. He was 50. Camacho was shot as he sat in a car with a friend, who was killed in the attack. Police said officers found nine small bags of cocaine in the friend's pocket and a 10th bag open inside the car.
Investigators reported no arrests and said investigators continued to look for potential witnesses.
Camacho's sisters have said they would like to fly Camacho's body to New York and bury him there. Camacho grew up mostly in Harlem, earning the nickname the "Harlem Heckler."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears 44 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies 17 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report