X Games sizzles in SoCal
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- Some people refer to the summer X Games as the "Olympics of the Extreme." The games kicked off Thursday in Los Angeles at both the Staples Center and the Home Depot Center.
- Video: X Games sizzles in SoCal
- Video: Interview with Tony Hawk
- Video: Interview with Ryan Sheckler
- Video: Interview with Sal Masekela
- Video: Interview with Travis Pastrana
- More: Most Popular stories, videos and more
- More: Get breaking news alerts
"I just want to have fun and encourage other girls to skate and just show that you can be girly and still be a skateboarder. Go get your hair and nails done," said Julie Kindstrand, an X Games competitor.
Even for those new to the X Games, there was a lot for the whole family to do at the event.
"X Games kind of has something for everybody. I mean it's the best in the world. If there's something new that's going to happen, it's going to happen here," said Travis Pastrana, a car driver and motocross pro. "The biggest air, the best tricks, the most fun, the most family-friendly environment, I mean this is the place to come."
So whether or not you want check out the motocross, BMX riders, rally cars, or skateboarders, the X Games has it all. The games will be in full swing at the Home Depot Center and the Staples Center all weekend long.
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film