15 injured in South Africa soccer stampede
TEMBISA, South Africa (KABC) -- Fifteen people including one police officer were injured when thousands of soccer fans stampeded outside of a South African stadium Sunday before an exhibition game between North Korea and Nigeria.
Outside of the Makhulong Stadium in the Johannesburg suburb, which seats about 12,000 fans, several fans fell under the rush of fans, many wearing Nigeria jerseys.
According to police spokesman Lt. Col. Eugene Opperman, the injured individuals were being treated at a nearby hospital. Opperman said that the stampede broke out when fans were scrambling to grab the free tickets which were being distributed just outside the stadium. Opperman said the mayhem ensued when the gates were opened.
FIFA, soccer's international governing body, said it had nothing to do with the ticketing.
The North Korean and Nigeria teams were lining up for the national anthems when the stampede occurred and had no idea what was going on outside. The match was suspended for about 10 minutes shortly after the second half started. The Nigerians won 3-1.
Such chaos is not uncommon to soccer. Last year, FIFA fined Ivory Coast's federation $46,800 after 22 people died in a stampede at a World Cup qualifying match.
AP contributed to this report.
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com
world cup, soccer
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 40 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 26 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
13 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
32 min ago