David Beckham set to stay in LA; rejected PSG
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Perhaps it's the warm weather Southern California has been seeing lately, but soccer star David Beckham is apparently set to return to the pitch for the Los Angeles Galaxy.
The French Club that Beckham has been in negotiations with for weeks announced that Beckham does not want to move his family from the Southland.
The 36-year-old will now try to finalize a 1-year deal with the Galaxy, which was paying him $6.5 million a season. The French Club PSG offered Beckham nearly double that amount.
"David Beckham is not coming," PSG President Nasser al-Khelaifi said at the Qatar Open tennis tournament. "We feel a little disappointed. But both sides agreed it would be better that we not do the deal ... maybe in the future."
Beckham's five-year contract with the Galaxy ended after he won his first MLS Cup in November.
Beckham and wife Victoria, a former member of the "Spice Girls," moved to California in 2007 after he left Real Madrid.
The celebrity couple now have four children and decided during a Christmas break in England that they did not want to move back to Europe permanently.
"I'm very proud of the time that I've spent with the Galaxy and it might continue," Beckham stressed recently.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles galaxy, soccer
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 49 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever 23 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour