Beckham signs new 2-year deal w/ LA Galaxy
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- David Beckham is expected to announce on Thursday that he has agreed to a new two-year contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
The deal is reportedly worth $15 million.
The star midfielder is coming off his best season, helping the Galaxy win their first MLS cup since 2005.
"This was an important decision for me," Beckham said in a statement provided to The Associated Press. "I had many offers from clubs from around the world, however, I'm still passionate about playing in America and winning trophies with the Galaxy."
Beckham's five-year contract with the Galaxy ended in November. He and wife Victoria, a former member of the "Spice Girls," moved to California in 2007 after he left Real Madrid.
The celebrity couple now have four children and decided during a Christmas break in England that they did not want to move back to Europe permanently.
"I am thrilled that David has chosen to rejoin the Galaxy, especially as he had numerous options where he could continue his career," Galaxy coach Bruce Arena said. "I felt that he was one of the best players in all of MLS last season and we could not have achieved the success that we did without him. We look forward to trying to replicate that success this season with David once again in a Galaxy uniform."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles galaxy, soccer
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 9 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 3 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know... 40 min ago